Discussion [Sticky] What are the soft skills a Project Manager should have?
Who is a Project Manager? Project Manager is a professional responsible for planning, executing, and overseeing various aspects of a project to achieve its goals within specified constraints such as time, budget, and scope. They typically coordinate resources, lead single or multiple teams, communicate with all the stakeholders, and manage project risks to ensure the successful completion of projects.
Project Managers should pose great number of skills and apply in areas such as planning, organization, leadership, communication, and problem-solving to guide projects from initiation to closure while delivering desired outcomes.
So what are the soft skills a Project Manager should have?
- Communication: As they say, "Communication is key". To be an effective Project Manager, a clear and effective communication is crucial for conveying project goals, expectations, and updates to team members, stakeholders, and clients.
- Leadership - I refer a quote here "Management is doing things right whereas leadership is doing right things". A Project manager should be a good leader. He should inspire and be able to guide the project team by setting direction and making decisions to keep the project on track.
- Problem-solving: The project manager should be a problem solver why, it is quite common for a project manager to face many challenges throughout the duration of a project. So, the ability to analyze any issue, identify a solution, and make decisions that mitigate project challenge, and any associated risk is vital.
- Collaboration: The project manager must be a great collaborator as the project manager need to work effectively with cross-functional teams, stakeholders, and clients to ensure everyone is aligned and working toward the only one goal that is project's success.
- Conflict Resolution: The project manager should be a good conflict resolver in order to maintain good harmony among team members. Timely conflict resolution maintains positive team atmosphere when conflicts and issues are addressed within the team or with stakeholders in a constructive manner.
The soft skills complement the technical skills required for IT project management and contribute to the overall success of projects by fostering effective communication, collaboration, and problem-solving within the team and with stakeholders.
I have only listed the 5 soft skills, what is your list of soft skills required for a Project Manager, please share below.